This has to be the most awaited soup at our dinner table. Owing to the developing tastes, the elder kid has now asking for hot spicy soups as early as 5pm once she’s back from school. And we enjoyed the soups we made for the Cooking Carnival this month. This was one soup that was particularly made for her, and she enjoyed it a lot 🙂
As with Indo-Chinese food, this too was modified at home to suit our tastebuds. I am not a fan of readymade Indo Chinese sauces, and would rather use healthy substitutes whenever I make these.
So, while it may not be the authentic way of making Veg Manchow Soup, it was pretty much pleasing to our palate, and I shall be making this often due to popular demand now 🙂 I have another version of this with Cheesy Manchow Soup that I made ages ago, but the kiddo’s tastes have changed.
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 15 mins , Serves : 2
- Veg stock – 2 cups
- Shredded cabbage – 3 tsp
- Shredded carrots – 3 tsp
- Minced onion – 1 small
- Minced scallions – white & green separate – 2 tsp each
- Salt – to taste
- White pepper – to taste
- Finely chopped garlic & ginger – 1/2 tsp each
- Corn Starch – 1 TBSP
- Light Soy Sauce – 1 tsp
- Rice vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Fried Noodles – 3 TBSP (totally optional, but we liked it that way)
- Oil – 1 TBSP
- In a large wok, add oil, saute ginger, garlic & onions really well. Now add the shredded veggies and saute for 2 mins on high heat, add in the minced white part of the scallions too. Add the Vegetable stock and little salt and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Mix cornflour with 1/2 TBSP cold water and add to the soup. Now add the soy sauce & vinegar. Adjust salt and spices.
- Now finish with the diced green scallions & fried noodles and serve immediately.