Majjigehuli (or morkozhambu in Tamil) along with Thovve (Elai paruppu – Boiled and seasoned toor dal) forms an integral forms an part of Karnataka Cuisine. Majjigehuli (loosely translated as spicy curd gravy) can be made with a lot of veggies (Ashgourd, Yellow Cucumber, Chow Chow etc). Tamilians even add Sundakkaito Morkozhambu. But as this particular recipe is Authentic Karnataka, I shall use Yellow Cucumber (called Dosakaya in Telugu) for this Majjigehuli.
Sending this to Aruna’s COOKING WITH SEEDS EVENT(Coriander) originally conceived by PRIYA
Preparation time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 10+10 mins. Serves : 3
- Yellow Cucumber (diced in big pieces) – 2 cups
- Slightly sour Curd (or sweet curd, if you prefer) – 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- For tempering : Oil (1 tsp), Mustard seeds(1 tsp), Red chilly (1 no), Curry leaves.
- Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) – 2 tbsp
- Jeera (Cumin) – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 3
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Fresh Grated coconut (or dry copra) – 1/3 cup
1) Boil cubed pumpkin with salt till 90% done (if using pressure cooker, leave for 2 whistles)
2) In a skillet, fry methi seeds, coriander seeds, red chillies, channa dal, jeera one by one in abt 1 tbsp of oil.
3) Cool the above masala and grind to a smooth paste with turmeric, hing and coconut.
4) Whisk the curd well and add masala paste to it, and prepare a dosa – consistency like mixture by adding water. Check for salt.
5) In a pan, add the cooked veggies and the masala paste. Cover and cook on low heat till the masala incorporates into the curry and thickens a bit.
6) Prepare the tempering and pour to the Majjigehuli.
7) Serve hot with rice and papad !
Love this tangy curry.I make this curry using the big green cucumber,next time will try with yellow cucumber.
Adding cucumber to this is new to me.. would love it..
Breakfast Club – Pancakes – Roundup
I am sure that masala paste takes this dish to another level!..very nicely made..I love all our traditional dishes..so simple yet so tasty!