Sometimes the veggies at home can flummox you – a little of this,
a handful of that – I found myself in the same situation last weekend. And
ended up making this deliciously lip smacking curry that we actually ran out of
During Navratri, we dont eat onions or garlic / ginger. So, I
had lots of onions left over but no other veggies except for a head of cauliflower and a
handful of frozen peas. It was too late to run to the supermarket or order in
food. But am glad we made this curry out of a written down recipe.
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | Serves : 4
- Cauliflower – 1 medium head (about 8-10 medium florets)
- Fresh or frozen peas – 1/2 cup
- Onions – 1 large
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Garam masala – 1/2 TBSP
- Jaggery – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- cinnamon – 1 inch and cloves – 2
- Oil – 1 TBSP
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Shahjeera – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper (whole) – 1/2 tsp
- Garnish – coriander leaves
- Blend cinnamon, cloves and onion to a smooth paste. Add
half the tomatoes and puree again.
- In a small pressure cooker, add oil, splutter cumin seeds and
shahjeera. Add whole black pepper. Now add the cauliflower, peas and saute. Add
tomato and saute again. Add turmeric and the ground masala paste. saute till
raw smell disappears.
- Now add 1-1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for just 1 whistle. We need veggies to be cooked but not mushy. Add garam masala, jaggery
and cook for 2 – 4 minutes more.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.