As a family, we love Okra / Bhindi / Lady finger as a veggie, my elder one is particularly partial to Bhindi & Karela (bitter gourd). Although am not fond of the latter, I eat it in specific dishes only. Today’s dish is a super simple yet different version of the Okra stir fry (Bendekayi Palya) that I usually dish out for the rest of the family. My sister loves this Bendekayi Gojju (okra in tangy gravy)
Do checkout the steps below to get a yummy yet low cal dish. This side dish was served in the Diabetic Mini Thali posted early this week.
Ingredients (serves : 2)
- Tender Okra / Bhindi / Bendekaayi – 10 nos
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Marination Mix : Garam Masala powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, lemon juice (1 tsp), amchur (dry mango powder), Rasam powder, Sugar or Jaggery (1/2 TBSP)
- Salt – to taste
- Wash, wipe and trim the Okra.
- Cut diagonally into medium slices.
- In a bowl, add the chopped okra, marination mix, give it a quick stir. Let it sit for 7-8 mins.
- In a non stick pan, heat oil, add the okra and on a very low flame, let it cook uncovered (about 10 mins). stir once in 2-3 mins so it doesn’t burn. Sprinkle few drops of water from time to time if needed.
- Once done fully, add salt , mix and serve immediately