This has been on my mind ever since Pavani posted her version. I didn’t get the pictures as well as hers, but the taste was spot on. Thank you Pavani, for a wonderful recipe. I realised I should have smashed them a little further to get the flavours seeping in, but this chilled salad on a hot summery afternoon was bliss and I had this as a snack all by myself 🙂
As with the other salads this week, this too is a zero cook. So, it comes together pretty quickly. Hope you enjoyed the salads past two days with Summer Fruit Mix Salad and Watermelon Feta Salad.
Prep time – 10 mins, Marination : 10 min (optional); Serves : 1
Chinese Smashed Cucumber Salad – Vegan, Raw Gluten Free
- English / Persian Cucumbers – 1 medium (chilled)
- Sesame oil – 1 TBSP (I warmed it slightly but you can use room temperature)
- Red chilli flakes – 1/2 TBSP
- sugar – 1/2 tsp (I used brown sugar)
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Garlic – 1 pod (finely minced) – I didn’t add
- Trim the ends of the cucumbers and rub the cut ends against the cucumber to remove any bitterness (in Bangalore cucumber variety which I used, there is a lot of bitterness, so be sure to remove this). smash this lightly (or rather a bit strongly), and cut into one thirds or longish batons. You may also make these bite sized, but slightly chunky.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients, add to the cucumbers. Let the flavours sit for a while in the fridge
- Serve chilled.
Sending this to Sandhya who’s hosting Kids’ Delight – Summer Salads & BM #89