Soups are great to have during chilly / windy days especially during Monsoon / Rainy days. As readers of this blog would know by now, we are huge fans of soups – with over 25+ varieties of vegetarian soups (mostly vegan). Today’s Carrot Red Lentil Soup is a quick soup that’s made in under 15 mins, if you have homemade vegetable stock (that’s made with leftovers / peels / discarded parts of veggies etc).
Adding dal (lentils) to soups adds not just body but also nutrition. I often find that it thickens the soup without the need for any cornflour (or artificial thickening agents). Do try it out and let me know how you like it. Another soup we absolutely have come to love is this 100% Oil Free Cabbage Curry Soup, and if you are a soup lover like us, I bet you would love this a lot . If you like Corn, then this Cream of Corn Soup with Bell Peppers is just the thing for you. If you like another variant of Carrot soup, try this Carrot + Celery Soup
Some other soup varieties on this blog you may like (almost all of them are both Vegan and GF).
PIN THIS 21 soup link collection for your ready reference.
- Matar ka Shorba | Cream of Peas Soup(GF)
- Zuppa Pomodoro do Tuscano (Tuscan Tomato Soup)
- Oven Roasted Vegetable Soup
- Toor Dal and Cheesy Carrot Soup
- Cream of Carrot Almond Soup
- Cheddar and Burnt Garlic Cauliflower Soup (GF)
- Cream of cauliflower soup
- Carrot Lentil Soup
- Quinoa Minestrone Soup
- Veg Manchow Soup
- Carrot Almond Soup
- Bottlegourd Soup
- Cream of Corn soup with Bell Peppers
- Palak aur Badam ka Shorba (Spinach – almond soup)
- Curried Cauliflower – lentil Soup
- Corn Spinach Soup
- Tomato Veg Clear soup
- Cream of Corn soup with bell peppers
- Beetroot Soup (Chukandar ka shorba)
- healthy Tomato soup
- Baked Potato and Chickpea Soup
Prep time – 15 mins, Cook time – 15-20 mins , serves – 2
What you need:
Oil – 1 TBSP
Carrots – 1 medium – cubed small
masoor dal / red lentils – 3 heaped TBSP
bay leaf – 1
homemade vegetable stock – 300 ml
Onion – 1 small – minced fine
Garlic – 2 small pods – minced
tomato – 1 medium – finely chopped
Salt and pepper – to taste
Potato – 1 small (peeled and cubed)
PIN FOR LATER
- Soak masoor dal for 5-10 mins. Meanwhile, chop the veggies and keep aside. in a soup pot / pressure cooker, add 1 tbsp oil. Add the bay leaf and sautè the onion and garlic till slightly golden brown. Add the tomato, potatoes and carrots and sautè for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the soaked masoor dal (along with the water) and the stock (you may use water too instead of stock, but the taste would definitely vary).
- Add salt and pepper, and Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles
- Once the pressure comes down, take out the bay leaf and puree the rest of the soup. Don’t strain (or sieve).
- Let it come to a gentle simmer for 30-45 seconds
- Adjust salt and spices and serve hot