This week of Blog hop, I am paired with Kaveri of Palakkad Chamayal. Being a south Indian myself, most recipes were common. I chose a simple to make but yummy Thoran(Stir fry in English, Palya in Kannada or Curry in Tamil). Its a very simple dish – Beans Carrot Thoran – that you can put together with very few ingredients. Although addition on onions is optional in such dry curries, in most South Indian homes, onions are not added. Feel free to saute 1 chopped onion to this dish if you prefer. You can saute the chopped veggies in oil, but I pressure cook for 2 whistles prior to sauteeing it with literally just 1 tsp of oil. This dish goes very well with hot rice and Rasam. My favourite preference is to have this with Rice & Poricha Rasam ! Lets get on to the recipe now… Also sending this to Susan’s BWW
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins, Serves : 2
- French beans – finely diced – 1 cup
- Carrots – finely diced – 1/2 cup
- Shelled fresh / frozen peas – a handful (optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Tempering : Mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies -2
- Salt – to taste
- Grated coconut + coriander leaves – for garnish
Check out similar dry curries here
1) Wash, clean and chop the veggies into fine bits. Ensure both the vegetables are cut to the same size.
2) Pressure cook the veggies along with green peas for 2 whistles with very minimum water (I usually keep these veggies in a separate container when I am cooking my Toor Dal for Rasam or when cooking rice to save on fuel)
3) Once the veggies are cooked, drain all water in a separate vessel (tip: this water is very healthy, so you can actually drink it up as its full of vitamins).
4) In a skillet, add oil. splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies. Add a pinch of hing / asafoetida to this and saute. Now add the boiled veggies, salt, grated coconut and coriander leaves and give it a quick stir.
5) Yummy Beans-Carrot Thoran is ready in a jiffy ! Goes well with Curd rice / plain rice / Rasam Rice / Sambhar or even hot fluffy phulkas. Serve with any dal of your choice.