Sprouts are more nutritious than legumes for they are more easily
digestible, and give higher fibre content than most foods. We love sprouts in all forms – Sprouts Adai, Sprouts Rava Idli, Salad, Khichdi etc…
So what is a
diabetic special Sprouts tikki doing in a kids’ special Legumes theme post ?
Well, I believe that if you provide healthy eating habits at home, kids wont go
after junk food – Atleast thats what happened when I had made this as an
evening snack. I had made it for a diabetic guest at home, and kiddo liked the taste so much that she asked me to prepare it
again in the morning along with the Kala Channa Pulao for her lunchbox.
a bit of protein overdose, but as long as she liked it, and the box came back
empty, who am I to complain ? Do try this out, and am sure you would make it
often. Sending it to BM # 46 Legumes Special Themeand Valli’s Kids Delight event.
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins
Makes : 8-10 Tikkis
Why is it diabetic friendly? find out in the list of ingredients:
- Moong Sprouts – 1 cup ( you could use any sprouts you have on
- Raw Banana – 1 medium
- Soya flour – 2 TBSP
- Ragi / Nachni / Finger millet flour – 2 TBSP
- Oats – 3 TBSP – – roasted lightly
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to baste – about 3 TBSP
- Dry masala powders – Cumin, coriander, dry mango, turmeric, red
chilli, garam masala
- Ginger grated – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – few
- Peel and chop raw banana into 2 – 3 parts. Pressure cook both
moong sprouts and Raw banana for 3 whistles. Drain all water. Grate the banana
or mash it well with the palm of your hand.
- Add salt, soya flour, Nachni flour, Oats, boiled sprouts, and all
other ingredients except oil and mix well. Make it into one dough like
- Make into equal sized tikki / cutlets and refrigerate for 15 mins.
- In a gas top grill / tava, baste these with oil and grill on low
flame till they turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately or pack with pulao or any other dish for a
Very interesting recipe. Nice pictures.
Recipe sounds very healthy and delicious.
A nutritious tikki.
Just love to have some tikkis rite now, packed with fibre and protein.
What a healthy tikki! Perfect for young kids especially vegetarians to get their protein intake up.
Healthy tikki. Bookmarking this. 🙂
Healthy and delicious tikkis.
very healthy and irresistible tikkis dear :)perfectly shaped dear !!
Very healthy tikkis … nice idea!!
That's so cool..I remember most times when I make something diabetic, my kids would also reach out to eat..:)..thanks for the ideas..
Very nutritious. I should try this combo sometime.
I love the use of plantain in these. That alone is a reason to try them
Very healthy tikki and delicious too