After yesterday’s Thinai Uttapam (foxtail millet Veg Crepes), we have an Instant Masala Idli with veggies. As kids grow (and therefore their IQ grows!! Grrrrrrr), it becomes increasingly difficult to make them eat veggies that they were once fond of ! yes, Tikkis / Cutlets / Kebabs are easy options to sneak in veggies but at breakfast too, we need to provide some fibre for kids.
So I converted kiddo friendly Rava Idli to this Masala Idli – this is made with no fermentation and makes for an interesting and different lunch box snack too (my kids hate Cold Idli or Dosa, so this is always made for breakfast).
Instant Masala Beans Idli – a steamed savoury breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
Course : Breakfast
Served with : Coriander Coconut Chutney
Prep time : 10 mins ; cook time : 10 mins ; makes : 6-8 Idlis
- Roasted Rava / Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Oil – 3 tsp
- French beans – 1/4 cup (chopped fine)
- Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tempering: Mustard seeds, Asafoetida, Ginger, Urad dal (split black gram)
- Eno / fruit salt – 1 tsp
- Thick Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Par boil the beans with a pinch of salt and sugar . Drain all the water, saute in 1 tsp of oil , add the jeera and crushed black pepper and saute well. Cool and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add roasted rava, yoghurt , salt and mix well. Make the tempering with the remaining oil and tempering ingredients, add to the sooji – yoghurt mixture. Beat well.
- Keep a steamer ready with a lot of water, and grease the Idli Moulds. Add the fruit salt and immediately add the sauteed french beans and mix well.
- Immediately pour to the greased moulds, Steam for 10-12 mins in high heat.
- Once done, keep aside for 1-2 mins, unmould and serve hot with Coriander Coconut Chutney
Lets see what other BMers are dishing out forBM #67