or steamed salad with legumes features very often in our menu, and not just for Navratri offering – we make it out of most legumes : Channa dal, Chickpeas, Masoor Dal,Green Gram (payaru), Avarekaalu (hyacinth bean) etc.. I generally have
a batch of cooked kala channa / chickpeas in my freeZer . In emergencies, just
take out a batch and sauté it with easily available ingredients and you have a
wonderful usli / Sundal on hand – filling, proteinicious and almost zero oil.
As winter is almost upon us, I have access to
fresh peas. What better way to savour it fresh and off the pod ;)) today’s dish
is a easy breezy snack that’s great to curb the 5pm cravings or even add up a
protein in your kid’s lunch box. Green peas Sundal is crazily easy to make as I
prefer fresh peas to soaked peas for maximum taste.
Prep time : 5 mins ; cook time : 15 mins ;
serves : 2
- Shelled Fresh peas – 1 cup (if using the dried green or
yellow peas, soak overnight and pressure cook till done but not mushy ; if using frozen, thaw for 10 mins and pressure cook for just 1 whistle)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Tempering : mustard seeds, Urad Dal (1/2 tsp), asafoetida, red
chillies, ginger grated,curry leaves n coriander leaves
- Fresh coconut – grated – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1/2 TBSP (optional)
- Pressure cook peas for 1-2 whistles with very
little water (just 1-2 TBSP will do)
- Drain all the water.
- In a pan, heat oil, prepare the tempering. Add
the cooked peas, sauté well.
- Add salt, check for seasoning
- Finish with coriander leaves, lemon juice and
- Serve warm or at room temperature.