In the final post using Potato this week, today we have the evergreen Aloo Methi (potato and fenugreek leaves) stir fry. Its probably a combo that steals hearts across regions and age groups,and therefore made in a zillion ways. I love the way my mom makes it, and thats captured in this post today.
Makes an excellent side dish for Hot rotis / Dal + rice or even curd rice. If I (and if I ever) have leftovers, which is a rarity, I use it as a filling for parathas the next day, and that tastes awesome as well 🙂
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 15 mins, Serves : 4
Served in this Mini thali : Wholewheat Chapati (Roti), Sukha Aloo Methi, Dal, Salad and yoghurt.
- Potato / Aloo – 600 gms
- Fresh or frozen fenugreek leaves – 3 cups (packed)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin – 1 tsp
- Rai / Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 TBSP
- Sambhar / Vangibhath powder – 2 TBSP
- Amchur / Dry mango powder – 1/2 tsp (sub with 1 tsp of thick tamarind paste)
- Sugar / Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Boil (or pressure cook) and peel potatoes, cube them into required shape or slightly crumble them, but not mashing them.
- Clean wash and chop the methi (fenugreek leaves) finely.
- In a pan, heat oil. Splutter cumin and mustard seeds, add turmeric and chopped fenugreek leaves. saute for 3-4 mins. Add a pinch of salt , sprinkle little water (2 tsp) and cook for 5-6 mins till slightly wilted.
- Now add the slightly mashed / cubed boiled potatoes, all spice powders and jaggery. Saute for further 2-3 mins till dry and all water evaporates.
- Serve hot with Rotis / Rice