Holi – the festival of colours, the celebration of Spring. India’s vibrant cultural ethos gives us so many opportunitiues to celebrate Nature and thank it for its bounty . Holi is one such occasion to celebrate the onset of Spring and also to mark the triumph of the Good over the Evil. Lets celebrate Holi through food,all this March through a new event –HOLI FEST : COLOURFUL PALETTEat Sizzling Tastebuds. It could include any vegetarian (and eggless) foods that you make traditionally for Holi or any colourful palette that depicts the spirit of Holi.
Wikipedia tells me “The main day, Holi, also known as Dhuli in Sanskrit, also Dhulheti, Dhulandi or Dhulendi, is celebrated by people throwing scented powder and perfume at each other. Bonfires are lit on the eve of the festival, also known as Holika Dahan (burning of Holika) or Chhoti Holi (little Holi). After doing holika dahan prayers are said and praise is offered. The bonfires are lit in memory of the miraculous escape that young Prahlad accomplished when Demoness Holika, sister of Hiranyakashipu, carried him into the fire. Holika was burnt but Prahlad, a staunch devotee of god Vishnu, escaped without any injuries due to his unshakable devotion. Holika Dahan is referred to as Kama Dahanam in South India. Holi is celebrated at the end of the winter season on the last full moon day of the lunar month Phalguna (February/March), (Phalgun Purnima), which usually falls in the later part of February or March“
Read on for more details as to how you can send in your entries…
1) Use the Linky tool at the end of this post to link up your entries
2) Event runs from 1st March – 31st March 2012
3) Any fresh entries – vegetarian and eggless – can be linked to this event. It can be savouries / sweets / main course / desserts made for Holi or any other occassion, but preferably Indian as we celebrate the spirit of Holi through this colourful palette.
4) Link to this event announcement as well as the above logo on your entry is mandatory.
5) Non bloggers are also welcome to mail me their entries directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Come, let’s celebrate the Colourful festival with our wonderful and lipsmacking dishes 🙂