We made this Dal as part of the Diabetic Mini Thali featured here. Lauki or bottle gourd is something we have taken to liking only in the recent years. Today’s is a super simple yet filling side dish for rice or hot rotis / phulkas. I haven’t added any onion / tomato in this, but you can add as per your choice.
Course : Main course, Indian
Served with : Indian flat breads or Steamed rice
Vegan and GF Lauki Dal (bottle gourd cooked with lentils)
- Lauki / bottle gourd – 1/2 medium
- split green gram / moong dal – 2 fistfuls
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tempering : oil 1/2 tsp, mustard seeds 1/4 tsp , jeera(cumin) 1/4 tsp, curry leaves, 1 slit green chilly
- Garnish : coriander leaves, Lemon juice (1/2 tsp)
How to make:
- Soak Moong dal in warm water for 10 mins. Wash, peel and cube the bottle gourd into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1/2 tsp, temper the mustard & cumin seeds, add the curry leaves and green chilly. saute for 1/2 min
- Now add the cubed lauki, saute for 1 min, add turmeric, half the salt, soaked moong (along with the soaked water). Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles. turn off heat immediately, and release the pressure.
- Adjust thickness with more water and add salt if necessary. Mash lightly if needed.
- Let it simmer for 1-2 mins. Switch off flame.
- Finish with coriander leaves & lemon juice. Serve hot