A Street food food marathon without visiting Lucknow would be amiss considering the rich legacy of kebabs and biryanis that were gifted to us by the Nawabs and the royal kitchens.
Meat being the mainstay lots of kebabs including Tunday ki kebab, sheesh kebab, Galouti kebabs were meat rich.
Fortunately some of these have vegetarian equivalents too. And presented today is the rich Galouti kebab. This is totally vegan and GF too. So do check this out to make at your parties and potlucks .
Other kebabs on this blog:
- Baked Kebab Veg platter
- Moong dal Seekh Kebab
- Baked Falafels
- Baked Falafels
- Corn Cheese Pepper Kebab
- Sattu aur Palak ke Kebab
- Baked Hara Bhara Kabab
- Dahi Ke kabab
- Nawabi Kabab
- Baked Corn Panner Kabab
Adapted from Ruchi’s kitchen.
Prep time – 20-25 Mins ; cook time – 15~17 Mins ; makes – 9 to 10 kebabs
Spice level – medium : course – snacks / appetisers
Cuisine – Indian
- Cooked rajma / kidney beans – 1 cup
- Roasted gram flour/ besan- 2 heaped tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Grated onion – 1/2 cup
- Ghee (vegans can sub with oil) – 1 tsp
- Ginger – garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- 1/4~ 1/3 tsp each of clove powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder
- Cumin powder – 1/2 Tbsp
- Cashew nut powder – 1 tbsp
- Minced green chillies – 1/2 Tbsp
- Soaked, drained and minced soya granules – 1/4 cup
- Coriander and mint leaves – 1 tbsp each
- Lemon juice – 1/3 TBSP
- Oil / ghee – to shallow fry
- In a bowl, add the cooked and mashed Rajma (devoid of any moisture) , minced soya granules , salt, spice powders and mix well.
- In a shallow pan, add oil , sauté grated onion, garlic and ginger paste till they turn brown. Cool and add to the soya – rajma mixture above.
- Now add coriander , chillies, lemon juice, mint leaves and make a thick dough of the “mock” meat.
- Make small rounds and flatten them into kebab / tikki shapes
- Heat 4-5 tbsp of oil / ghee in the same pan and shallow fry these kebabs in low flame till crispy on both sides
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
If the rajma is too wet n runny , add 1 more tsp of roasted gram flour.
- Add bits of raisins / kishmish if you need a hint of sweet.
- You may add finely chopped cashew nuts to elevate the textural beauty of these kebabs.