Rajma (kidney beans) is mimickingly called “Rajamma” in our house,and is eaten if that’s the last resort and they have NOTHING else to eat. Knowing this trend, I hardly make “Rajma-Chawal” at home.
The man of the house however raves about the Rajma Chawal made at his boss’ place and I am like “What’s wrong with my version?” !! Well ! to each his own… I often disguise this legume /lentil into Rajma Pepper Quesedillas or a Multigrain Adai(Thick Mixed lentil crepe)
But when my neighbourhood vegetable vendor told me about some fresh Rajma (kidney beans) plucked off her farm, I bought some from her and immediately made this Sundal. Both the man and the elder one loved it and went for second helpings ! There, I had a winner :-)) I am keeping my eyes open for the next batch of fresh rajma from now on 🙂
Although I have made Sundal (or steamed snack / Steamed Salad) with most legumes soaked and steamed like Channa dal,Black Chickpeas,Masoor Dal,Green Gram(payaru),Avarekaalu,Battani (fresh green peas),Kabuli Channa, Sprouts, there was something fresh and vibrant about using the fresh legumes. If you do have access to these, make it for a quick snack / side dish and you will love it 🙂
Prep time : 5 mins, Cook time :15 mins ; Serves : 3
You would need:
- Fresh Rajma – 1 cup (200 ml = 1 cup)
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh Coconut – 2 TBSP
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Urad dal / split black gram – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 1 no.
- 2 green chillies -slit
- Curry leaves – few
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- Finely chopped coriander – 1 tsp
- Steam cook / Pressure cook the fresh rajma with a pinch of salt. Drain completely.
- In a pan, add oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add the dal, let it brown a bit. Now add the other ingredients and saute well.
- Tip in the cooked Rajma and stir well, adjust salt.
- Top with fresh coconut and serve immediately