Chocolate. Zucchini. Chocochips. More Chocolate. Wholewheat.
Need I say more ?
When Shireen picked Carob / Chocolates / Cocoa theme for #Breadbakers, I wasn’t too keen I would participate as I am not fond of chocolates at all. But a sudden Dark chocolate interest has kicked in post my dark chocolate and chocochip brownies & and I had to give this a go.
Inspired by this recipe, I halved the recipe, tweaked it a bit to suit and there it was ! Beautiful to look at, and delicious to dig into.
Mom and the rest of the family including devoured it slowly over the weekend and quite liked it. The moisture from the Zucchini, the dark chocolate melted along with the choco chips and the toasted walnuts was quite a treat !!
P.S : This Chocolate Bread also goes to my event + giveaway – Kids Delight. Do link up your eggless / vegan chocolate entries if you want to be part of the giveaway…
We couldn’t taste the zucchini and the husband did a double take when I mentioned it contained the veggie. He loves healthy treats like these and went for a second serving 🙂
Why, even I had a slice and it wasn’t bad at all, I was quite certain I am gonna make this especially for the kids, with the summer vacation around the corner and these treats are gonna keep their growling tummies happy 🙂
If you are a chocoholic, you dont need a reason to make this. Make sure you slice them after its cooled fully (I refrigerated it overnight – and that was the hardest part : waiting !!!). Else you may end with crumbly bits, which isn’t a bad deal after all considering its fudgy, chocolatey and delicious too 🙂
Recipe Source : Here
Prep time : 15 mins, Bake time : 25-40 mins, makes : 8 inch loaf (approx 400 gms)
- Wholewheat flour – 100 gms
- Maida / All purpose flour – 125 gms
- Cocoa powder – 4 TBSP (I used dutch processed)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp (opt.)
- Ground allspice – 1/2 tsp (opt.)
- Grated zucchini – 1 cup (200 gms)
- Oil – 1/4 cup (any neutral oil)
- Curd – 2 TBSP
- Buttermilk – 60 ml
- Brown Sugar – 125 gms (or to taste)
- Semi sweet chocochips – 1/4 cup
- Roasted coarsely chopped walnuts – 4 tsp (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 170 C / 325 F. Line a pan /loaf pan and keep ready (I used a non stick)
- Sieve all dry ingredients twice over.
- Mix the brown sugar in oil , mix well and add curd and buttermilk , now add in the sieved flour mix (dry ingredients) in batches till there are no dry streaks.
- Now fold in the choco chips and zucchini and fold well. Zucchini leaves a lot of water if left unattended so make sure you add it in last.
- Immediately transfer to a lined pan and top with walnuts if using.
- Bake at 165/170 C for 35-40 mins of till a toothpick comes clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and slice when completely cool.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form
- Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Breads from The Bread She Bakes
- Chocolate and Orange Swirl Buns from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Chocolate and Vanilla Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Buttermilk Quick Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Filled Bundt Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Monkey Bread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Chocolate Swirled Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Walnut Swirl Bread (Croatian Povitica) from Herbivore Cucina
- Chocolate Yeast Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Sourdough Pocket Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns from Baking in Pyjamas
- Double Chocolate Espresso Scones from Wholistic Woman
- Eggless Babka from I camp in my kitchen
- Eggless Chocolate Swirl Buns from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Eggless Triple Chocolate Scones from Spill the Spices
- Four-Chocolate Sour Cream Quickbread from What Smells So Good?
- Leopard Print Bread from Spiceroots
- Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate filled Croissants) from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Pane Al Cioccolato from Ruchik Randhap
- Petits Pain au Chocolat – Mini Chocolate Croissant from Sneha’s Recipe
- Quick Chocolate Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Sourdough Cacao Sweet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Sweet Russian Chocolate Braid from Hostess At Heart
- Two Chocolates Greek Yogurt Banana Bread from La cocina de Aisha