After the Papaya Ginger Lime Relish and Pudina Chutneypudi, its time for us to travel to the Middle East to make another lipsmacking condiment – Muhammara… We are generally partial to these quick dips at home, so Baba Ganoush, Hummus and Guacamole get made regularly.
I was making this for a potluck for a baby shower, and the lady was allergic to walnuts (which I thankfully discovered just before I finalized on this dip). So I substituted with roasted pistachio which wasn’t the original muhammara texture, but was relished a lot with homemade Lavash Sticks.
So its gonna be Muhammara with a twist..
Check out the recipe below to see what other twists have been given J
Recipe adapted from here
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 25 mins, Makes approx. : 150 gms, keeps for 3-4 days under refrigeration
You would need:
- Walnuts – ½ cup (I sub with roasted pistachios)
- Chilli Paste – ½ TBSP (see notes for recipe)*
- Pomogranate Molasses – 2 TBSP (I used whole pomegranate – ¼ cup)
- Bread crumbs – ¾ cup (I used 3 large slices of bread)
- Red Bell pepper – 1 large
- Onions – ½ (I used shallots)*
- Cumin /Jeera powder – ½ tsp
- Tahini – 2 TBSP (I didn’t use as it contained sesame)
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
How to make :
Grill / broil the bell pepper on stove top or in the oven. Cool, peel and dice the peppers. Leaving aside a handful, add the rest of the peppers and all other ingredients and grind to a paste. I slightly went overboard and got a smooth paste, but the next time will blitz it just once to get a coarse consistency.
Adjust spice and seasonings. Top with a tsp of olive oil, remaining peppers and serve warm with crudités or with Lavash sticks.
1) To make Lavash sticks : I had some pizza dough remaining, Cut into wedges, topped with cumin and roasted oats, bake in preheated oven at 160C for 8-12 mins till crisp.
2) To make the Chilli paste, I soaked 4 red chillies with 2 pods of garlic and shallots for 15 mins, and ground them coarsely*
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56