One of the simplest stir fry is with Gherkins / Ivy Gourd that we regularly make. And this featured on my Aadi Velli Thaali. Replete with fresh coconut and homemade curry powder, this is delicious side dish that goes with both chapatis and rice – rasam combos a lot.
Skip the curry powder if you wish so but not the coconut. Either way, ensure to use tender veggies for best results.
Lets get to the recipe, shall we ?
Prep time : 10 mins, cook time : 10 mins, Serves : 3
Vegan Stir fry with Iv gourd | Cuisine : South Indian | Spice - medium
You would need:
- Ivy gourd / Thondekaayi / Kovakkai – 250 gms
- Fresh Coconut – 2 TBSP
- Curry powder – ½ TBSP
- Tamarind powder / Amchur – ¼ TBSP
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Jaggery – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 TBSP
- Tempering : Mustard seeds, asafoetida, urad dal, curry leaves, turmeric powder ½ tsp.
- Wash, wipe and slice the ivygourd into bite sized pieces (lengthwise or into thin roundels).
- In a pan, heat oil. Make the tempering, once mustard stops spluttering, add the chopped veggies, a dash and salt and sprinkle some water.
- Cook covered for 8-10 mins till done, but not mushy.
- Finish with grated coconut, curry powder, red chilli powder, amchur and jaggery.
Toss well and serve immediately.