Arisi Kesari Pal Payasam is another Payasam (Kheer / Indian Milk pudding) made for Aadi Velli festival. Simple to make, its unlike the traditional Kerala / Tamilnadu pal payasam and doesn’t use Condensed milk, but rather saffron to get that rich colour. The fresh aroma from saffron , milk and cooked rice is like a match made in heaven. Lets now see how to make it.
Prep time : 15 min, cook time : 20 min. Serves : 4
- Raw rice (short grained) – ½ cup
- Cow Milk – ½ Litre (500 ml) - boiled previously
- Sugar – 1/3 cup – powdered with 2 cardamoms
- Saffron strands – a generous pinch
- Ghee – ½ TBSP (optional.)
How to make:
- Cook rice till done with 3 times water for 4 – 5 whistles (if using an open pan, soak rice for 20 mins and cook in adequate water till done).
- Add milk and cook this rice further for 5-6 mins till mushy. Now add powdered sugar with cardamom, and saffron strands. Cook till sugar blends.
- Finish with a tsp of ghee and serve hot