During this Baking Marathon, it gave me the courage to try out different kinds of cookies and biscuits like Custard powder Coconut cookies, Carrom seed (Oma) biscuits, and the wonderful Baked Onion Crackers . So this biscotti looked like a natural extension. Biscotti is a doubly baked cookie - simply put it resembles our Indian rusk (popular in Indian Bakeries). Wholewheat,healthy and made with very little ingredients, these were much liked by both the kids.
I didn't cut the biscotti the usual oblong oval shape , but nevertheless we liked them a lot. I would increase the sugar slightly the next time round as I wasnt sure if the tutti frutti would be overpowered. With a good shelf life, this can be a good car snack for those long drives.
Or if you are like me, make these and then ask the husband for a long drive with the kids in tow :)
Baking Marathon Day 23 : Tutti Frutti Biscotti
Recipe type : Quick snack
Prep time : 10 mins | Bake time : 25 mins
- Wheat flour - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Tutti Frutti - 1/4 cup
- Oil / butter - 4 TBSP (I used oil)
- Salt - a pinch
- Milk - 1/3 cup (use almond milk if you want it vegan)
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sift the flour with salt and baking powder. Add tutti frutti and mix well. Now whisk the sugar and milk well, once dissolved, add oil and mix. Add the flour with tutti frutti to this wet mixture.
- Knead well. Cling wrap and refrigerate for 45 mins. Towards the end of this resting period, preheat oven to 180 C
- Once done, unwrap the dough, Bake for 12-15 mins on one size. Cool for 10-12 mins
- Now with a sharp knife cut into thick slices (shape doesnt matter). and with the cut side down, bake for further 4-5 mins till crisp and slightly browned at edges
- Cool on rack and serve with tea / milk.