Strawberries abound in Mumbai during the winter months,having been grown and picked in Mahabaleshwar - a popular hill station about 200 miles from Mumbai. While I am not a strawberry cheesecake or a strawberry milkshake kind of mom, we do indulge in the whole fruit (like all fruits which we like to consume in whole, unadulterated form), there was a batch of strawberries that nobody wanted to eat (partly coz they were a little off season and slightly sour). So this quick Mini Loaf pans that DH gifted to me for my birthday came to use for yummilicious eggless & Vegan Wholewheat Banana-Strawberry Mini Loaf.
Chunky strawberry paired with banana and the house smelt like a bakery. Even my maid who is generally reticent towards bakery products ate it that day and declared I should open a mini baking unit at home J I guess that was pretty much a good feedback, and in the evening I could see the husband asking for a second helping post dinner… All in all, a winner !
Baking Marathon Day 7 : WholeWheat Strawberry and Banana Bread (Eggless & vegan)
Recipe type : Fruit bread / Tea Cake
Course: Tea time snacks
Cuisine : American
Makes : 6 mini loaves (or about a medium sized 9*5 loaf)
Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time : 30 mins (varies from oven to oven)
- Wholewheat flour – 1 cup
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Strawberry – hulled / pitted – 1/3 cup
- Banana (ripe) – 1 large or 2 medium
- Salt – a pinch
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp (optional)
- Oil - ½ cup (I used about 3 tsp less)
- Sugar powder – 3 TBSP (Adjust sweetness as the bananas I used were very sweet)
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp (opt.)
- Sieve flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder in a bowl.
- Mash banana with a fork or Puree in a blender with half the oil and the sugar.
- Add the banana puree to the flour mixture, add in chunks of strawberry and slowly mix. Add the rest of the oil and the essence and mix gently.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C. Spoon in to greased moulds (I used silicone moulds so greased them lightly although that’s not really necessary)
- Top with chopped strawberries and a handful of nuts. Bake for 18-22 mins and cool them .
- Unmould and serve