These Oats Buttermilk Crackers from Vardhini’s blog is a super hit since I keep making them. I am quite wary of cookies and crackers for the flour and butter that most recipes offer, but some like This and Onion Crackers are a winner at my place, and we love them to snack or with an afternoon cup of tea. I have made no changes from Vardhini’s recipe, and we love it for its mild sweet-savoury bite.
Oats, wholewheat, no butter – guess it cant get healthier than this J).. Do make it in bulk, and you might find yourself nibbling them more often than you thought J
Dished so far in the Blogging Marathon:
Baking Marathon Day 8 : Wholewheat Oats Buttermilk Crackers
Recipe type : Cookies / Crackers
Course: Tea time snacks
Cuisine : American
Makes : 15 – 18 medium sized crackers.
Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time : 12-15 mins (varies from oven to oven)
- Oats – 1/3 cup (I used old fashioned oats)
- Wholewheat flour – 1.5 cups
- Salt – to taste (about ¼ tsp)
- Baking Soda – less than ¼ tsp
- Butter – 3 TBSP (I simply replaced with 4 TBSP Olive Oil)
- Honey – 1 TBSP (warmed) (Or replace with Agave nectar for a vegan version)
- Buttermilk – ¾ cup (I used 1 tsp less than a cup)*
- Topping – roasted sesame seeds (optional)
*Buttermilk can be substituted with 1 cup milk mixed with 1/2 tsp vinegar. Else, if you have readymade yoghurt, whisk 1/2 cup with 1/4 cup water well and use.
- Mildly dry roast Oats on low flame for just 1-2 mins, cool and coarsely powder (this is optional, but I made it this way)
- In a large bowl, add the whole wheat, salt , soda, oats and mix well.
- Add the honey and oil (or butter) and mix well till you get a breadcrumb feel.
- Add buttermilk slowly and make a slightly stiff dough.
- Let it sit covered in a clingwrap for 15 mins in a refrigerator (optional step but recommended). Preheat oven to 165 / 170 deg C (about 375 deg F)
- Roll out a slightly thickish disc with a portion of the dough, sprinkle the sesame seeds and press lightly.
- With a cookie cutter, cut out shapes of your choice, and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 12-15 mins (till the edges turn slightly brown).
- Cool on a rack till they turn crisp . Store in an airtight container and munch, guilt free!