I admit I had another post for today - all ready and decked up. But I had to change it for these yummilicious Cajun Spiced Cheesy Aubergines that I made within minutes of reading Suma's recipe.. She called it Eggplant Pizza, I made one tweak and served it to the husband, who relished it a lot. He's into a lot of healthy eating, and this flourless bake like the Veg Au Gratin , was very well received. Thanks for the inspiration- that must be the quickest turnaround for my bookmarks, and am sure we shall make it often for all of us are eggplant lovers back home..
There is no prep required, all you need is a 15-17 minutes clear time and the right ingredients. By the time the oven is heated, the veggies are prepped and popped into the oven. You dont really need to hover around for they will be done within the time below. So, so waiting and only devouring.. The cajun really added to the flavour and the texture of the snack was so appetising.
Recipe type : Snacks / Finger food
Course: Appetisers / hors d'oeuvres
Serves : 2
Prep time : 10 mins | Bake time : 15 mins | Serves : 2 adults.
- Chinese type brinjal (look for big fat shiny purple ones) - 1 large
- Processed / Mozarella Cheese - 1/4 cup grated
- Bell peppers - sliced thin - 1/2 cup
- Cajun Spice powder – ½ TBSP
- Salt - to taste (I added a teeny weeny sprinkle)
- Dried herbs - oregano and basil - 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven for 155 C.
- Wash, wipe and cut the brinjal into slightly thick discs, discarding the crown. Brush them with olive oil, Cajun Spice powder and sprinkle a teeny pinch of salt over these discs, and pop it in the oven for 10-12 mins on a baking sheet, flipping them once.
- Now add a topping of cheese, peppers, dried herbs and bake again for 3-4 mins till cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.