Basic Sponge cakes are a lifesaver and a great base for snacks like tiramisu, . Although am not much of a condensed milk – APF kind of person, Tarla Dalal’s recipe never fails. And I was happy to see Priya Srinivasan have a basic sponge cake. I made some changes, mixed both recipes, doubled the recipe and divided the recipe into a basic sponge cake and the rest went to a choco-vanilla marble cake. Two birds in one stone J Kids asked me to make the marble cake more often, fascinated by the unique designs the twirls that the batter could throw up. For once, I was happy to use Maida / APF for the kids sake, and kiddo enjoyed with her friends who had come over for a sleepover night party !
Baking Marathon Day 10 : Basic Eggless Sponge Cake and Choco-vanilla Marble Cake
Recipe type : Tea Cakes / Flavoured Bread
Cuisine : American
Makes : Two 9*5 Cakes
Prep time: 30 mins | Bake time : 25-28 mins per cake (varies from oven to oven)
- Maida / APF – 1.25 cups
- Wholwheat flour – 1.25 cup
- Powdered Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp
- Soda – ¾ tsp
- Buttermilk – 2/3 cup
- Melted Butter – 4 TBSP
- Oil (Canola) – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Essence – ½ TBSP
- Extra For the Marble cake – Chocolate chips (1/3 cup) + 2 TBSP Oil
- Sieve the flours, baking soda, baking powders.
- Cream Sugar with the butter and to this , combine the oil, buttermilk, vanilla, 100 ml of water and beat well in a separate bowl. Keep aside.
- Add the sieved flours to the above liquid mixture and mix gently to a batter of dropping consistency. Divide the batter into one portions.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C / 375 F
- At this point, gently microwave the chocochips for 30 seconds with the oil. Mix 4 TBSP of the prepared batter and mix well.
- Pour one portion of the batter into a greased and lined pan . Tap sharply to settle the batter.
- Pour the other portion into another pan, gently pour in the chocolate-mixed bater and swirl once to get a mosaic design
- Bake both pans (either separately or together) at 200 C for 15 mins and at 150 for next 15 mins. Keep an eye after 22nd min (Over temp and time may vary from oven to oven)
- Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool for 2-3 mins and invert on cooling rack, let the cakes cool completely, then proceed to cut
* I used a 9*5 for one cake and a smaller for the marble cake and baked them separately. In that case, the temp would be around 22-25 mins for each cake