Its not everyday that we make deep fried food, but the day we do, its a welcome indulgence. Given that the mercury has dipped in the past couple of weeks, we all enjoyed this rather scrumptious veg spring rolls filled with lots of veggies. Both the kids enjoyed and we had just a few left for the snaps. Highlight of this dish was the elder girl helped me in making these and she rather enjoyed rolling the wraps.
This is a popular appetizer, and the fillings are pretty much endless : Tofu, bean sprouts, cabbage etc. Non vegetarians, I am told, enjoy theirs with shrimp, chicken or even bacon. Enjoy these with a steaming cup of tea or as an appetizer to add more zest to your party / get together.
Sending this to BM#48 under Wraps and Rolls. Check out other marathoners here.
Prep time : 15 mins | Fry time : 10 mins | Makes : 1 dozen rolls (largish)
- Spring roll sheets- 1 dozen sheets - slightly thawed.
- Shredded veggies - 1 cup ( I used cabbage, onion, carrots, capsicum, french beans, scallions)
- Onions - 1 medium - minced fine
- Soya sauce - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Tomato ketchup - 1/2 tsp
- Green chili paste - 1/2 tsp (omit for kids, if required)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 TBSP + for frying (1 cup approx)
- Cornflour + water - 1 TBSP each - to be mixed into a paste (for sealing)
- Peel out the spring roll sheets carefully and press them between paper napkins to thaw them completely. Keep them wrapped under moist kitchen towels to prevent them from drying and prepare the filling first.
- In a wok, heat oil. Saute onions, add ginger garlic paste, all shredded veggies and toss a bit till they are still crunchy. Add the sauces and check for salt. Add additional salt only if required. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Spread out one spring roll sheet. Add a tsp of the filling and gently roll diagonally till you reach the end. Seal with the cornflour-water slurry. Make all the rolls likewise.
- Heat oil for heating, When its medium hot, add the rolls and fry gently on both sides till golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Cut into bite sized pieces if required.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup / any chilly sauce.