Sev batata Puri is one of the most sought after snack in my family. Easy to make, and also quick to eat, this is kiddo’s favourite and she specifically asked me to include it in the North Indian Starters as Chaats are a popular starter too.
I have used home made papdi (recipe soon) and homemade chutneys - red chilli garlic chutney and tamarind Dates (recipes here) and Green chutney for this. Once you have both these on hand, its very easy to make the chaat. Less of a recipe and more of assembly, this is one chaat you cant miss to make. The additions you can have is endless, I have even seen minced chicken being used in non-vegetarian starters atop these cute papdi.
Hope yopu enjoyed the Appetiser / Starter series for BM # 47 this week with Sesame Gold Coin, Dahi ke kabab and today's Sev Batata puri. Stay tuned for a new theme next week.
To make these, you need:
Papdis (about 2 dozen)
- Maida / APF – 1.5 cups
- Oil – to deep fry
- Shortening / ghee – 3 TBSP
- Baking powder – ½ TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Ajwain /crushed carom seeds – a big pinch
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – to taste
To assemble the Sev Batata puri (serves : 4)
- Boiled potato – 3 nos
- Onions minced fine – ½ cup (optional)
- Tomatoes – deseeded and minced fine – 1 TBSP
- Red chilli garlic paste –1 TBSP
- Tamarind Dates Chutney - 3 TBSP
- Green chilli Chutney - 1 TBSP
- Boiled corn – ¼ cup
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Jeera powder /roasted cumin powder – ½ TBSP
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Sev / fine Ompudi – to top
- Freshly chopped coriander – a handful
To make the papdis
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder. Add warm ghee / shortening and rub into the flour till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the rest of the dry ingredients except oil and mix well. Now Add warm water little by little and make into a stiff dough. Apply a little oil and let it rest under a damp towel for 15 mins.
- Pinch out a medium-large roundel and roll out a largish dish (slightly thick, but not too thin either). With a cookie cutter or a bottle lid, cut out discs, and prick all over with a fork to prevent puffing. Meanwhile heat the oil for frying. When its moderately hot, fry the discs on both sides and drain on absorbent paper.
- Store well in airtight containers for upto 8-10 days
To make the sev batata puri
- Mix the mashed potatoes, onions (if using), boiled corn, salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder in a large bowl and keep aside.
- Assemble the papdis on a plate. Spoon over a light film of these two chutneys. Add mashed potato mixture over it. Top with tomatoes, jeera powder, sev and coriander leaves and serve immediately.