If there is one food memory from my Bangalore days that I was allowed to carry forward, it would be rava idli with veg sagu (semolina idli with mix veg curry). Set Dosa too is served with Sagu and Chutney. There was something about these two combos that are full of warmth, comforting and filling too ! I was amazed to see I am yet to post homemade Rava Idli, although I have posted two varieties of Set Dosa here and here.
Today's post is a super combo with chapati,Roti,Rava Idli, Naan, Poori or even dosa. I personally love this curry coz its healthy, and entire curry can be made with less than 2 tsp of oil for 4 people. Mom taught me a super healthy mode where she steams the cut veggies in a steamer. And entire curry comes together in less than 15 mins (once the veggies are chopped).
You may use fresh or frozen mixed veggies, and except maybe brinjal and okra, you can pretty much add anything. Although the classic version of this saagu is made with beans, carrots, cauliflower and peas. I had a handful of baby corn which I added today. Lets get to making this delicious curry / gravy. Hope you had fun reading all 3 posts this week with Nargisi Kofta Curry, Rasila Gobhi Matar and today's Mixed Veg Saagu as part of Side dishes theme for BM#45
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | Serves : 4
- Fresh or frozen mixed veggies (beans, carrots, cauliflower, peas, baby corn) - 1 - 1.5 cups
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Tempering : oil - 1 tsp, Mustard seeds, Curry leaves
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coconut - 1/3 cup
- Pottu kadalai / fried gram - 3 tsp
- Onions - 2 nos (medium sized)
- Green chillies - 2 nos
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 2-3 pods (opt.)
- Red chillies - 2 nos
- Saunf / Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Elaichi / cardamom - 1pod (opt.)
- Cloves - 2 nos
- Khus Khus / poppy seeds - 1/2 TBSP
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Dry roast poppy seeds and fried gram separately - stage 1 .
- Fry the onions, ginger, garlic, red chillies,green chillies and coriander leaves in 2 tsp of oil for 4-5 mins till onions turn pink. Cool - stage 2
- Grind these two (stage 1 and stage 2) with the rest of the ingredients under masala with minimal water to a smooth paste.
- Blanch or steam veggies with a pinch of salt till 3/4 done but not mushy. Drain water completely.
- In a pan, add oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, add the ground paste and saute for 6-8 mins till the raw smell disappaears. Add water as needed to make a thickish gravy.
- Now add blanched or boiled veggies, turmeric and lightly saute again, simmer on low-medium for 3-4 mins.
- Serve immediately with hot rotis /Naan / Poori