This Russian Olivier salad had been on my to-do lists for long. It's an intrinsic part of wedding and corporate buffets, along wit another similar salad - Caesars salad . Usage of Mayo in this salad - an ingredient totally detested at home - had been a detergent in making this earlier. But I had a tin of sour cream that was going to expire, so I mixed a tbsp of sour cream, a dash of tomato ketchup , 2 tsp of cream and 1/3 cup milk to make this amazingly tasty salad. This goes to R for Russia for the World Blogging Marathon
Officially known as the Russian Federation ,Russia is a country in northern Eurasia It is a federal semi-presidential republic. From northwest to southeast, Russia shares land borders with Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, China, Mongolia, and North Korea.
Russian cuisine widely uses fish, poultry, mushrooms, berries, and honey. Crops of rye, wheat, barley, and millet provide the ingredients for various breads, pancakes and cereals, as well as for kvass, beer and vodka drinks. Black bread is rather popular in Russia, compared to the rest of the world. Flavourful soups and stews include shchi, borsch, ukha, solyanka and okroshka. Smetana (a heavy sour cream) is often added to soups and salads. Pirozhki, bliniand syrniki are native types of pancakes.
You can use any combo of fruits and veggies in this, apples and pineapples being the mainstay. I used a combo of boiled veggies (beans, carrots, peas - blanched slightly wit a dash of salt), cherry tomatoes and some peeled and cubed apples. Make sure both the veggies/fruits as well as the dressing is chilled. You may serve this standalone or with roti/ naan and gravies as part of lunch. Either way, its gonna be a star !
Country : russia
Dish : russian Olivier salad
Served : as it is
Prep time - 10 mins | cook time - 5 mins
Chilling time - min 1 hour
Serves : 4
- Boiled / blanched veggies : carrots , beans, peas, baby corn - approx 1 cup
- Apples - 1/2 medium (cored, peeled and cubed)
- Cherry tomatoes - a handful - halved (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil - 1 tsp
- Lettuce leaves / large cabbage leaves - cleaned - to serve the salad in
- Hung curd - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup - 1/4 tsp
- Milk - 1/3 cup
- Blanch veggies with a pinch of salt. Drain. Refrigerate this along with the cubed apple
- Whisk the hung curd and sour cream well , free of lumps
- Add milk little by little to make a slightly runny dressing
- Add a dash of tomato ketchup and mix well. Refrigerate the dressing for 1/2 hour.
- Just before serving, add a dash of olive oil to the veggies, toss.
- Now mix the dressing into it. Add requisite salt and toss once more with the veggies, apples, tomatoes and serve immediately on a bed of lettuce / cabbage