Macaroni is probably one food which has been barred by kiddo - I tried Mac n cheese once and she gave me a look that made me wince twice. Pasta had the same cold shoulder, although she has kind of turned around with a version we both agreed on.. That was a long time ago, but yesterday I disguised the macaroni in a veggie chop along with healthy Moong Dal (whole green gram) and was it a runaway hit !
Thanks to Vaishali, one great blogger friend who suggested I make this. I am sure I shall make this often. The icing on the cake was that kiddo had a day off yesterday and did the plating and garnish and .... yes, the photograph too.. She was wearing a little apron and her tiny little hands were so eager to help me. She was so excited about playing big girl that by evening all her friends in the apartment asked me if she really helped me cook - it was lovely to Off this goes to Blogging Marathon # 30 & Kids Delight hosted by Mirielle. Refer notes below for my take on this indigenous dish :-)
Prep time : 20 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | Makes : 10 Veggie chops
- Addition of Moong Dal is optional, however I added to make it more healthy and proteinicious
- You may add 1 tsp of cornflour to the dough before shaping them - they wont fall apart while cooking.
- Be sure to refrigerate the chops for 10 - 15 mins before pan frying it. You may grill or bake these too if you wish.
- Boiled macaroni - 1/2 cup
- Boiled whole green gram dal - 1/4 cup
- Boiled potatoes - 3 medium or 2 large
- Green chillies - 1 or 2 (adjust spice)
- Coriander and mint leaves - 1 tsp each
- Bread crumbs - 1/4 cup (or as much as your require)
- Salt - to taste
- Olive oil - to pan fry
- Cornflour - 1 tsp (I didnt add, but strongly recommend using this)
Dry masala powders :
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1/2 TBSP
- Chaat masala - 1/4 TBSP
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Boil macaroni as per packet instructions. Drain and wash under running tap water. Drain again and add 1 tsp of oil throught it once done and mix well. Reserve
Boil potatoes and whole green gram and mash slighly.
In a large bowl, add the macaroni and mash it up lightly (tip - dont wait for this to cool to much or else the binding will break down)
Add the boiled whole gram and potato and all ingredients including dry masala powders except oil.
Divide into equal portions and make into slightly flat chops (or even cutlet shaped)
Refrigerate for atleast 20-30 mins
Roll each chop on the breadcrumbs and shallow fry on a low-medium flame till they turn crusty and golden brown (alternately spray cooking oil bake at 160/165 deg C for 10-12 or till golden brown - grill for 1-2 mins to get the crusty top)
Drain on kitchen towels.
Serve hot with Green chutney or sauce.
Optional - you can insert ice cream sticks or strong tooth picks just before serving to get a kiddie's finger food feel :-))