"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring" ~George Santayana
...and so I am in love with the weather upon us right now. Cold wintery mornings that greet you is a comfort from the scorching summer and lashing monsoons that hit our city every year. And while the nice cool nip is here ,thought why not make the most of it...
With this carrot almond soup, it's sheer luxury to sip through this warm comfort while you ponder over the day ahead or how the day went by, depending on whether you slurp this for lunch or supper. Either way it's full of body, warmth and fresh goodness that will promise to leave you satiated.
This soup can be made with adding shallots too, but I prefer to have certain days off without onions, although garlic is recommended. Easy to make n delicious too, let's get on to the recipe.
Prep time -10 min | Cook time - 10 mins | Serves -2
Difficulty level : easy
Serving suggestions: warm breads,baked croutons or a dollop of butter
- Carrots (orange variety) - 3 medium- cubed
- Almonds - a handful- soaked in warm water for 10 mins
- Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Moong dal / split green gram - 2 tsp
- Salt and Italian seasoning - to taste
- White pepper powder -1/2 TBSP
- Milk (low fat) - 3/4 cup
In a pressure cooker, heat up some olive oil. Fry the garlic till slightly brown. Then add the cubed carrots and the soaked almonds. Fry for two mins
Add the moong dal and fry further for 1-2 mins
Pour 4 cups of boiling water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Once the pressure is released, cool slightly and purée.
Pour to a soup pot or heavy bottomed vessel. Let it simmer (not boil) for 2-3 mins. Add salt, pepper powde, milk and seasonings. Let it simmer for further 1 min
Transfer to a soup bowl and serve warm
Enjoy the goodness of a warm hearty soup :-)
Linking this to:
My own event Winter Foods 30-min Challenge
Vardhini's New "U" 2013
- Moong dal and milk are optional, but they add to the texture. For a vegan version substitute low fat milk with soya milk
- If using shallots, fry them along with the garlic and pressure cook along with the carrots & almonds
- For a different variant, garnish this soup with caramelized garlic