How many times have those 4 -5 slices of bread been left over in your pantry ? Too bored to make a sandwich? Of course you can make them into these yummy home baked croutons, but you cant have croutons for breakfast, right? Why not try this super simple and yummy Bread upma with veggies. It not only clears your bread box, but also fills up enough fibre for a good breakfast. Team it up with a smoothie or a sugar free mocktail, and you are all ready to face the day ahead !!
What's more, you can add any veggies of your choice or even Moong Sprouts to make it more healthy. Serve it with a little tomato ketchup for kids, and you have a winner on hand. Of course, any upma (or savoury pudding) tastes better with substantial oil, but this a low cal / low fat version and is pleased to satisfy your palate while keeping your heart ticking :)
Sending this to:
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
Serves - 2
- Bread slices – 6 to 8 (I used brown bread, but you may use white too)
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Blanched veggies – ½ cup (I used a combo of beans / carrots / cauliflower)
- Onions – 1 large – minced fine
- Capsicum / Bell Pepper – ½ - minced
- Salt – to taste
- Tempering : Mustard seeds, green chillies (2),curry leaves
- Turmeric – a dash
- Sugar – ½ tsp (optional)
- Garnish – coriander leaves & lemon juice (1/2 tsp)
1. Slice the bread slices into 1 inch squares (do not trim the edges as it adds a nice crunch to the dish). Pulse once in the spice grinder to a coarse powder if you so wish.
2. Blanch veggies in slightly salted water for 8 – 9 mins. Drain.
3. In a large wok, heat olive oil. Splutter the tempering ingredients and add the onions & turmeric . Fry till it turns pink. Now add bell pepper and sauté once more. Add salt and sugar.
4. Now add the veggies and sauté them quickly. Once you get a semi dry mixture, add the cubed bread squares & toss them lightly.
5. Increase the flame to medium and cook covered for 3-4 mins. Do not add any water (Tomatoes if added to this Upma will make it mushy).
6. Switch off the flame and finish with lemon juice and coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with any chutney / tomato ketchup.