a) Sukanya’s Cooking with Seeds – Chickpeas, event by Priya
b) Min's Taste n Create where I am paired with a blog named "No Reason needed"
c) Priya’s Healthy Diet-Warm Soups
d) Fastfood not fat food- event by Priya Mahadevan, hosted by Priya Sreeram
e) Priya/Puja's Tuesday bookmarked recipes
f) My event Kitchen Chronicles – Cooking with leftovers – hosted by Veena
g) New U - event by Vardhini
I had some boiled chickpeas & potatoes on hand after making Choley, and used them in this soup. Else, you may soak and cook the chickpeas exclusively for this soup. This also goes to
I have made some minor modifications to the original recipe and am sure this soup will be an addition to our menu card. Let's get on to the recipe now.
Source : here
Prep time : 20 mins.
Cook time : 20 mins
Serves : 4
- Boiled Chickpeas - 1/4 cup
- Potatoes - 2 large
- Onion - 1 large
- Garlic - 1 or 2 - minced fine (opt.)
- Olive oil - 2 TBSP
- Dry herbs : Oregano/thyme/basil - suit your palate (I used a generous pinch of each)
- Red chilli flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 1/4 tsp (opt.)
- Squash - chopped fine - a handful - optional
- Nutmeg - a teeny weeny dash
- Cream - 1/2 TBSP - for garnish
- Black pepper - 1/2 TBSP - for topping
- Salt - to taste
1) In a large soup pot (I used a pressure pan), heat olive oil. Add onions,garlic.Fry well till the raw smell disappears.
2) Meanwhile,wash,clean and bake potatoes in a microwave for 8 mins or wrap in foil and bake in the oven with a little butter & soft till soft. I added a pinch of red chilli flakes & pepper to bring out the aroma.
2) In the pressure cooker, after the onions are sauteed, add the cooked chickpeas, squash, salt and 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3) Pressure cook for 3 whistles and cool (If using a soup pot, cook covered for 20 - 25 mins till cooked well)
4) Drain and reserve the stock.
5) Puree the mixture along with the baked potatoes and tip in the reserved stock.
6) Bring this puree to a low simmer. Add the nutmeg, dried herbs, chilli flakes and adjust salt and other spices.
7) Transfer to serving bowls and finish with cream and black pepper.