Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins, Serves : 2
- French beans - finely diced - 1 cup
- Carrots - finely diced - 1/2 cup
- Shelled fresh / frozen peas - a handful (optional)
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Tempering : Mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies -2
- Salt - to taste
- Grated coconut + coriander leaves - for garnish
1) Wash, clean and chop the veggies into fine bits. Ensure both the vegetables are cut to the same size.
2) Pressure cook the veggies along with green peas for 2 whistles with very minimum water (I usually keep these veggies in a separate container when I am cooking my Toor Dal for Rasam or when cooking rice to save on fuel)
3) Once the veggies are cooked, drain all water in a separate vessel (tip: this water is very healthy, so you can actually drink it up as its full of vitamins).
4) In a skillet, add oil. splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies. Add a pinch of hing / asafoetida to this and saute. Now add the boiled veggies, salt, grated coconut and coriander leaves and give it a quick stir.
5) Yummy Beans-Carrot Thoran is ready in a jiffy ! Goes well with Curd rice / plain rice / Rasam Rice / Sambhar or even hot fluffy phulkas. Serve with any dal of your choice.