Now, off to the recipe !
Similar recipes :
Prep time : 15 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins. Serves : 3
- Good quality potatoes - 3/4 kg (medium sized 8 - 9)
- Oil - 1 TBSP (I use Olive oil)
- Salt - to taste
- Tempering : Oil (1 tsp) + mustard seeds + curry leaves
Spice powder mix :
- Gram flour - 1 TBSP
- Red Chilli powder - 1/2 TBSP
- Rice Powder - 2 TBSP
- Turmeric - a dash
- Amchur / Raw Mango Powder - 1 TBSP
1) Boil potatoes with skin on with minimum water for 2 whistles.
2) Drain all water, and quarter them (if using really large potatoes, try 1/6 or 1/8 pieces, but keep them chunky)
3) Mix all the ingredients of the spice mix along with salt. Toss in the boiled potatoes and ensure each piece of the potato is coated with the spice mixture well.
4) Keep for 5 - 8 minutes.
5) In a non stick kadai, add oil and prepare the tempering. Now add the spice mix coated potatoes and any remaining spice powder into the pan. Give it a nice toss and add in the 1 TBSP oil now.
6) Cook for 6 - 10 more minutes, WITHOUT covering while tossing them from time to time.
7) If you want it a little more crusty, leave it on medium heat undisturbed for 9 - 10 more minutes.
8) Serve hot with Mysore Rasam or Curd rice. Yummy meal :-)
The b/w picture goes to Susan's BWW