Sending this quick dish to:
Blogging Marathon (Day 3), Radhika's Diwali event, Khushi's My Diwali My Way, Anu's Diwali - festival of lights, Krithi and Denny's Serve It Festival Potluck, Pari’s Only Sweets & Desserts hosted by Gayathri & also to Priya & Aipi's Tuesday's bookmarked recipes.
Check out my fellow marathoners here
See other Indian Sweets here
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 15 mins. Serves : 4
- Carrots - 2 large
- Lauki / bottle gourd - 1 medium
- Mawa / condensed unsweetened milk fudge - 2 TBSP
- Sugar - 3 TBSP
- Condensed Milk - 3 TBSP
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Saffron - a few strands
- Cardamom - 1 no.
- Almonds / raisins / Cashew for garnish
1) Wash, peel and grate carrots and bottle gourd finely. Place the veggies in a deep bottomed vessel. Add the milk and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Cool and drain all the water from cooked veggies.
2) Powder the sugar with cardamom in a spice grinder.
3) In a thick non stick pan, add the boiled veggies and half the mawa and stir continuously on a slow flame.
4) When the halwa reduces by 1/4 or 1/3, add the powdered sugar and stir again on a low- medium flame. Once the sugar melts and the oil (from the mawa) begins to separate, add the remaining mawa and give it a vigorous stir for 5 - 7 mins (get those arm muscles moving :-)).
5) Now add the saffron and the nuts (if you wish, you may lightly fry the raisins in just a drop of ghee) and serve warm. This halwa goes very well with a plate of mixed hot bhajias !