Off to the recipe. The list is quite long but am sure most of the ingredients are available in every pantry. You can also play around the veggies by adding in locally available veggies like brocolli / zucchini / squash etc. Just note to dice all vegetables in the same to ensure a flavourful dish. Similar dish that I had made sometime ago was Veg Kurma. This dish is quite rich in fat and protein, and calorie watchers may eat this in moderation :D
Sending this to : Priya's Bookmarked recipes, Radhika's Hibernating Foods, Sukanya's Healing foods (coconut), event by Siri, Kerala kitchen by Khushi & also Priya’s Fruit / Veggie of the month- Coconut
Prep time : 20 mins, Cooking time : 20 mins. Serves : 4
- Sweet Corn - 2 cups
- Mixed veggies - 1 cup (I used carrots / beans / cauliflower etc)
- Onions - 1 (cut lengthwise)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 TBSP
Ingredients for spice paste:
- Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
- Almonds - 7 - 8
- Clove - 2
- Cinnamon - 1/4 stick
- Elaichi / cardamom - 1 no.
- Green chillies - 1 no.
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Red chilly - 2 nos.
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Onion - 1 large (diced)
- Turmeric - a dash
- Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Fresh Coriander - a handful
- Oil + Mustard seeds + curry leaves
1) Blanch corn and mixed veggies (except onion) for 10 mins or pressure cook with very minimal water for 1 whistle. Cool.
2) In a cup of boiling water, soak the almonds and poppy seeds for 10 mins. Drain after 10 mins and peel the almonds.
3) In a spice grinder, grind all the ingredients for the spice mixture to a smooth paste with little water.
4) Heat 1 TBSP oil in a skillet, prepare the tempering. Once the mustard stops spluttering, add the onions and fry well. When the onions turn slightly brown, add the spice masala paste and fry on medium / low heat till the raw smell disappears and oil leaves the sides of the pan.
5) Now adjust salt, and add the corn and veggies. Adjust water according to consistency. Cook and cover for 10 mins.
6) Garnish with lime juice (optional) and serve hot with chapatis / naans. Slurp !