This also happens to be one of my favourite Sundals and goes to the following events:
- MLLA 39 by Susan hosted by Cathy
- Radhika's Hibernating Foods
- Nayna's South Indian flavours
- My own event - Fasting foods (Vrat ka Khaana)
- Check out another favourite - Payiru Sundal (green gram salad) here
- Check out other protein-based dishes here and here.
- And similar steamed snacks here
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 20 mins. Serves : 2
- Channa Dal - 100 gms
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - a dash
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Grated coconut (fresh) - 2 TBSP
- Curry leaves + fresh coriander
Tempering: Mustard seeds, urad Dal, Green chillies (2), Grated Ginger (1 tsp)
1) Wash and pressure cook Channa Dal (Bengal gram) in as little water as possible for 2 whistles only with a pinch of turmeric. Else, boil them till al dente in a large pan with a pinch of salt too. Drain thoroughly.
2) In a skillet, heat oil. Splutter mustard and other tempering ingredients. Saute till ginger is slightly fried. Add the boiled Channa Dal, grated coconut, asafoetida and coriander-curry leaves and give it a quick stir.
3) Take care not to turn it very mushy ! Sundal is ready to serve :-)