- Susan's MLLA hosted by Preeti
- South Indian flavours by Nayna
- Condiment Mela by Valli
- Jaya's Back to basics - Spice powders - event
This is made in many many different ways in each household, depending on the spice / taste quotient. Some use only Toor Dal (Split Pigeon pea) , some Urad (split black gram) and Toor dal, but I do add a bit of Channa Dal (Bengal gram) for a variation.
- Toor dal - 1 cup
- Urad dal / Uluthamparuppu - 1/4 cup
- Channa Dal - 1/2 cup
- Red chillies - 4 -5 (if using kashmiri variety, increase to 7 -8) - adjust to taste
- Oil - 2 Tsp
1) In 1 tsp of oil, fry the lentils one by one till golden brown
2) Now add 1 tsp more and fry the red chillies till done (take care not to burn them).Cool completely
3) Now coarsely pulse the lentils in a spice grinder. Break the fried chillies and add them along with salt to the spice grinder. Pulse again to semi- coarse texture.
4) Cool and store in an airtight glass container.
5) Serve with hot rice and ghee / oil.