Need to credit this to mom and sis ! My sis detests more than necessary coconut in any form, and mom had to devise this easy-to-make and healthy chutney option to go . The total absence of coconut makes it a treat for those watching theur cholestrol :)
Goes great with Adai Dosa / Set Dosa / Instant Karicha Mavu Dosa / Idli / Kanjivaram Idli. Most of us make chutneys with peel of ridge gourd ,chow chow chutney etc., This is a Mixed veg peel chutney - the nuttiness of the different peels with the crunch of the ground lentils along with tamarind and jaggery makes it a keeper ! As this tastes very similar to an Andhra 'pachadi', its a great combo with plain steamed rice :-)
The ingredients are ridiculously easy to find and store, and the chutney itself takes under 10 mins to prepare
Sending this to Srav's Roti-Pachadi event
Preparation : 10 mins, Cooking time : nil. Serves : 3 or 4
- Vegetable peel (washed and drained) - 1 cup ( I used peels of carrots, potatoes, radish, cucumber)
- Urad dal / Uddina bele / Ulutham paruppu- 1 tbsp
- Channa dal / Kadale bele/ kadalai paruppu - 1 tbsp
- Red chillies - 2 nos
- Tamarind - 1/2 lemon sized
- Grated Jaggery - 1 tbsp
- oil - 1/2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp (opt)
- For tempering : Oil & Mustard seeds (1 tsp each), Curry leaves (few)
1) In a pan, add 1/4 tbsp of oil and fry the vegetable peels till glossy and semi soft. Transfer and cool.
2) In the same pan, add 1/4 tbsp of oil and fry urad dal, channa dal, red chillies, tamarind one by one till the dals turn golden brown.
3) Add salt and jaggery and grind the above dal mixture coarsely. Now add 3 -4 tbsp of water and add the fried vegetable peel. Grind to chutney consistency.
4) Transfer to serving dish. Prepare tempering with mustard and curry leaves spluttered in oil. Pour on the chutney
5) Serve immediately